Monday, March 15, 2010

Making Summer Magic

Spring hasn't officially arrived yet, but already its time to plan the family's summer activities. You have to get a jump on this because the most affordable and fun camps will be filled quickly. I've already spent hours trolling the web to research various camps. I have to balance the girls' interests with our budget and availability. I have literally built a spread sheet that incorporates prices, camp dates, age range, activities, and distance from home. Its all part of my parental committment to make my children's summers as magical and memorable as mine were.

Although to be honest I didn't get to do as much in my entire childhood career as my kids have in just the last four years. It was a different time and compared to our peers we were spoiled. My brother and I were quite aware of how much our parents sacrificed to take us on a vacation every summer. Usually it was a short beach getaway but sometimes it was a big trip like DisneyWorld. In between, we filled the summer days with bike riding, going to Vacation Bible School, and spending countless hours at the library. For me reading books at the library was the best part. It was an opportunity to learn more about anything I wanted without the stress of tests or grades. I believe these self-directed studies played an important role in shaping the person I am today. That is why I am a strong supporter of summer breaks.

I understand all the arguments for year-round school but I truly believe the benefits of a summer break outweigh the drawbacks. Yes, the school calendar was originally created to accomodate a farming culture that is virtually nonexistent today. However, the culture has evolved to where this seasonal break is crucial to the tourism industry which in turn provides employment opportunities for teens. The summer hiatus is also a perfect time for students to repeat a class or to get ahead. For me, typing and government were so easy when I had no other classes to worry about. You also can't overlook the transformative powers of summer. How many times did you come back to school to be wowed by classmates who had grown taller, shed weight or braces, or just gained an appealing aura of confidence? Changes like that don't usually happen in two-week breaks.

I still believe in the importance of summer vacations and I sincerely hope they don't disappear. Our childrens' futures will be filled with year-round work schedules and activity packed two-week vacations (only after their six-month employment probation of course), but this is the only time in their lives when they can explore the mysteries of their own minds and experience the magic of endless summer days. No time table, no agenda, just the chance to be.

No comments: